I stupidly deleted my first blog post, so I'm covering the subject again, just don't expect my wording to be as great.

     Wham and Jessica Andrews are some of the best artists I have listened to.  Earlier in the year I had discovered an unreleased Wham song called "Soul Boy," and found quite a few by Jessica.  I got to thinking, there are many out there who by now have enjoyed George Michael/Wham for 30 years by now, including my mom, who's been just plain obsessed with him since the 80s, and yet my mom and others have just now heard this song.  It gets me to thinking about how cool it'd be if maybe there could be a national holiday where singers release a bunch of their unreleased material in maybe box set form or something for us to hear.  There's many gems out there.

     The factor of exposure comes to mind as well.  I think about some of the celebrated singers out there who have gained so much critical acclaim, but can't help but wonder how much acclaim other singers and many other songs would have if more people got exposed to them.  This is one of the reasons why it's not worth it to let pedigree determine how great someone's music is, at least to me.  I used to spend a lot of time on Yahoo Answers' country music section and if you didn't think the music of someone like Johnny Cash or a Tammy Wynette was as great as, for example, Ricky Lynn Gregg's music, chances are you'd get quite a bit of hostility from the top contributors. I can understand having a favorite artist, but I can't say it's a set-in-stone default rule that the music of someone many of us don't know about is always inferior to one of the Cash or Wynette, or someone like The Beatles.

Comments

Popular Posts