A time period to be thankful for, and 20 songs that helped make it special.

     Many people often remember their senior year in high school for things like prom, homecoming, staying out late doing donuts in a Wal-Mart parking lot, you name it.  Me? Not so much.  My grade school days, for the most part, are a time period that I am so glad to see disappear in the rear-view mirror.  Prom was something I was talked into going to, and I can honestly say it is plain overrated.  People really wanted me to go to the graduation ceremony...all I can say is here I am, 3 and a half years later, still no regrets.  However, despite all the drag of having to retake classes while everyone was getting their big break, November 5, 2009 to May 12, 2012 marked a pretty special time period, entertainment wise.  I guess for the most part of my growing up life, I'd been at least a bit old fashioned compared to my peers, though I could be wrong.  In a previous post, I had mentioned how for most of my young life I was listening to music on a tape player.  For the most part, that lasted until this time period.  I was working my first job and finally had some $ of my own to spend.  My family bought a laptop for me before school started, and three months later was the start of a lot of good times to come (and yeah, some bad ones when I discovered the concept of internet trolls and the dark side of Facebook).  I had a web connection once back in 2005, but had very limited knowledge of video/song streaming, no knowledge of virus control, and thanks to me being ignorant, that ended pretty quick.  I finally caught on to things like song streaming, emailing and social networking in September 2008.  Now that I had all of this knowledge and my web connection again, so much happened.  Facebook and Myspace became amazing places for getting reaquainted with faces I hadn't seen since kindergarten, the elementary days, etc.  Youtube was somewhere I got to see shows I hadn't seen since before kindergarten, like Pappyland and Shining Time Station, and plenty of music videos I hadn't seen in ages. In this time period I rediscovered so many songs I had not heard since my childhood days, plus a good ton of material I had never heard before. One thing I can say from all of this experience is that people simply don't give Myspace enough credit.  Yeah, these days it is dead as a social network, but as a music streaming site, it is plain amazing.  All this bliss makes for better memories than a stupid prom.  Now that it is November, many are talking about what they are thankful for each day. 
  
     A particular circumstance gave me a good idea to think back to this time period and list 20 songs that helped make it special; 10 rediscovered songs and 10 discovered songs.  What's funny is that though songs we rediscover bring us back to the time period we last heard them, I listen to these to go back to the time period I rediscover them.  Random unnecessary quirkiness there.  So here's my two "Top 10" lists.


Top 10 Rediscovered Songs


1.  "It Never Rains In Southern California" by Trent Summar and the New Romob



2.  "I Know How The River Feels" by McAlyster   


3.  "Going For A Drive" by Tammy Rogers


4.  "I Wish I Could Have Been There" by John Anderson


5.  "For Your Love" by Chris Ledoux


6.  "Fly (The Angel Song" by The Wilkinsons


7.  "I Don't Call Him Daddy" by Doug Supernaw


8. "Swimming In Champagne" by Eric Heatherly


9.  "I'm In The Mood" by Alabama


10. "The Edge of Heaven" by Wham


Top 10 Discovered Songs

1.  "I'm Still Here" by Mindy McCready
Little note: the album came out in March 2010, and featured a slightly different sounding version of this one.  This version was released in 2008.

2.  "Love" by Jessica Andrews
https://myspace.com/jessicaandrews/music/song/love-23310349-23111534

Update: As of November 10, 2014, the song is currently unavailable to listen to, as Myspace's music service is undergoing some sort of maintenance.  When you click on the link, it brings up a Youtube video for the song "Sunshine and Love."

3.  "Ring" by Gary Allan


5.  "Yesterday's Kisses" by Tammy Rogers


6.  "Ain't No Son" by the Court Yard Hounds


7.  "Texas" by George Strait


8.  "Scream" by Mindy McCready


9.  "Driving My Life Away" by Rhett Akins


10.  "Cold Hearted" by Paula Abdul




Comments

Popular Posts