My Top 3 Favorite New Singles From 2015, So Far

     We're nearly a third of the way through the new year, so I figured it was time to post my favorite new material released.

1.  "Nothing" by Paul Brandt

The king of Canadian country music is at it again.  A gorgeous ballad, this is the third single from his new album, which is slated for release later in the year.  He's often referred to as a one-hit wonder here in the U.S. thanks to his 1996 ballad, "I Do" (though he's also known for his warning with a wink debut, "My Heart Has a History).  If you're a country fan and haven't checked material like this out, you should do so, pronto.



2.  "Little Toy Guns" by Carrie Underwood

It took long enough to become a fan of her material.  For the longest, I've had a bias against the vast majority of  mainstream releases that have come out since 2006. I had my excuses, especially "today's country sounds too much like pop." Luckily, that bias finally came to an end in 2012, so now I get to savor "Inside Your Heaven," "Two Black Cadillacs," "Blown Away," etc.  And then there's this powerhouse, which is from her first compilation, Greatest Hits:  Decade #1.  Keep an eye out for news on her next studio album, due out later this year.


3.  "Hangover Tonight" by Gary Allan

I was initially put off when listening to a few seconds of it on Itunes. I at first wasn't too big on the R&B theme to it, and feared that a saxophone solo was in the mix.  Sorry, but the sound of that thing just scares me.  But I gave it a chance, and now I'm officially hooked on the Kool-Aid.  Throw in other songs of his like "Today," "Every Storm (Runs Out Of Rain)," "Best I Ever Had," and "Man of Me" and you see a fact of life:  every leadoff single Gary releases is a home run.


I'm excited about the outlook for country in 2015.  George Strait's new leadoff single, "Let It Go," has just been released, as well as "Can't Wait To Meet You" by the Small Town Pistols, who will be releasing their new album in May.  "Old" favorites like Jessica Andrews, Lila McCann, and Chely Wright also have new material in the works.

What are your Top 3 favorite new releases?  What new releases are you looking forward to?

Comments

Popular Posts