Musical Humor

     Life is full of funny things. and the things in the music world are no exception. I've come across different parodies, for example.  In the country music industry, Cledus T. Judd is the king.  He made his debut in 1995 with the release of the album, "No Relation."  In a way, the title was to show he was not related to fellow country acts Naomi and Wynonna Judd.  But nonetheless, the songs are classics in my book.  A couple of my favorites from the album are "Stinkin Problem," (parody of "Thinkin Problem" by David Ball) and "Refried Beans" (parody of "Refried Dreams" by Tim McGraw).  However, half-seriously speaking, I would not recommend listening to these two songs while eating.  Throughout the years, he has parodied songs by many mainstream acts, including Chad Brock, Trace Adkins, Joe Diffie, Shania Twain, and eventually artists like Miranda Lambert, Gretchen Wilson, and Gary Allan.  During the early years, he would sing in a nasally voice, but eventually changed to singing in a normal voice, but it didn't take away from anything.

     Another funny experience is when you mistake a set of song lyrics for something else.  On countless occasions I've had to look at a set of lyrics to see if I'm hearing the song right.  In 1993, Dwight Yoakam released a single titled "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere."  Early in the song, he sings, "I got heartaches in my pocket, I got echoes in my head."  For the longest, I thought it was "pickles in my head."  I used to subscribe to Country Weekly when I was nine years old, and in reading an issue from early 2002, I was pretty surprised to find this was quite a phenomenon. 

Here are a couple of Top 5 lists in this regard.  My top 5 mistaken song lyrics, and Top 5 Cledus T Judd parodies.  Enjoy!

                                                               Top 5 Mistaken Song Lyrics


1. Song:                          "Nothing But The Taillights" by Clint Black
    Mistake lyric:              "And that's about as lonely as the highway's ever been, back here with my bum out in the wind."
    Actual lyric:                 "And that's about as lonely as the highway's ever been, back here with my thumb out in the wind."

2. Song:                           "I Lost It" by Kenny Chesney
    Mistake lyric:               "No one can make me cry, make me laugh,  make me smile, or drive me mad like a cheetah."
    Actual lyric:                     "No one can make me cry, make me laugh,  make me smile, or drive me mad like she does."

3.  Song:                           "Indian Outlaw" by Tim McGraw
     Mistake lyric:               "The village chicken is my pawpaw"
     Actual lyric:                 "The village chieftain is my pawpaw"

4.   Song:                         "Amarillo By Morning" by George Strait
      Mistake lyric:             "Armadillos in mourning"
      Actual lyric:                "Amarillo by morning"

5.  Song:                          "Austin" by Blake Shelton
     Mistake lyric:              "If you're calling 'bout the car I stole it"
     Actual lyric:                "If you're calling 'bout the car I sold it

My Top 5 Cledus T Judd Parodies (and the songs that "fell victim")

1.  "Stinkin Problem"    
Song that was parodied:  "Thinkin Problem" by David Ball 


2.  "Waitin' On Obama"

Song that was parodied:  "Waitin' On A Woman" by Brad Paisley w/ Andy Griffith


3.  "Where's Your Mommy?"

Song that was parodied:  "Who's Your Daddy?" by Toby Keith


4.  "Coronary Life"

Song that was parodied:  "Ordinary Life" by Chad Brock


5.  "Gone Funky"

Song that was parodied:  "Gone Country" by Alan Jackson


I've also decided to post a link to the music video for "Celebrity" by Brad Paisley.  Take a look at Little Jimmy Dickens' occupation!




Comments

  1. I have always loved the phenomenon of misheard lyrics! Makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts