My Song

Many of us have that one particular song that can be a theme to any aspect of our lives, whether it be one that is played at our weddings, one that marks a traumatic event that happened, or can fit the most random thing about our life. One thing about my life that is well recognized by those around me is that I do not drive. By now I should be a veteran at it, but my family has gone through so many cars that I have a hard time not being afraid that any machine that I get will end up tearing down on the way up a steep hill. I have been meaning for a long time now to take the written exam, but even still one has to have six months of experience. I have only had about two or three minutes worth.

It was August 2009. My stepdad finally found the time to teach me like any father figure should do for his kid. The method, however, was a mistake. I have since found out that many parents usually take their kids to an open space somewhere because a rookie is likely to bump into something. The plan was for me to pull out of the parking lot at the Putt-N-Putt golf place, which is about half a mile from where I live. Unfortunately, the steering wheel seemed to jam up on me after I turned too much to the right, so I ended up knocking down a street sign and a fence, and almost hit an oak tree. Since then I have been afraid to do it again, and have turned down offers from people to teach me. I really do not feel like taking the chance of destroying anyone's machine.

I have had a financially poor upbringing, so it was either we were relying on a machine that constantly needed repairs, or bumming rides from family/friends. The bumming rides thing?  In my book, it is one of the most embarrassing things to do.  In the past decade or so, it has pretty much transformed into a family life style. By the time I was 16, it got to a point where I could not go along with it anymore.  I went ahead and started putting one foot in front of the other to get to where I needed. I don't know if it is just me or what, but sometimes it seems like I've become well known around these parts for it. Then again, I guess it is reminiscent of the Miranda Lambert song, "Everybody Dies Famous In A Small Town." In a small town like the one I live in, you can become well known just putting one foot in front of the other to get atop Ramsey Mountain in 96 degree July heat, or heading to college at 5 in the morning. Honestly, though, I wish it was not like that. Embarrassment..you cannot avoid it. Nonetheless, if you do not have a portable device and some headphones, you have to find someway to keep yourself occupied. Thinking and reminiscing will do that. So many things can run through the mind when you're putting one foot in front of the other for two hours or so. Sometimes there will be a completely imaginary conversation with a close friend playing in the mind, or maybe I'll spend time thinking about Matthew Berry's Love/Hate articles. Sometimes whenever I'm striding past a bunch of traffic, I have to avoid bursting out laughing when I'm thinking about a picture of an auto-correct fail. Maybe I'll be thinking about a great song that brings me back to 2008. It'll completely change my state of mind. What can I say? Now you can understand why this Clint Black number is "my song."

Comments

Popular Posts